CYFN is accepting applications for a Chief Returning Officer for the election for the Office of the Grand Chief. The Chief Returning Officer is responsible for the delivery and control of electoral activities and is the statutory authority to conduct the election.
Tuesday, April 26, 2022
Please submit cover letter and resume to:
Council of Yukon First Nations – Executive Office
Phone: (867) 393-9200 ext. 9224
Fax: (867) 668-6577
YUKON FIRST NATIONS PREFERENTIAL HIRING POLICY IS APPLICABLE. YOU MUST INDICATE YOUR FIRST NATION AFFILIATION ON YOUR RESUME OR COVER LETTER TO BE ELIGIBLE.
Scope of Work
The Chief Returning Officer is responsible for:
- Preparing, posting and announcing notice of the election, including the placement of notices in the local media and the provision of notices directly to the Yukon First Nations;
- Preparing and distributing a call-out for nominations for the office of the Grand Chief;
- Preparing and distributing the candidacy forms;
- Receiving nominations of candidates for the office of the Grand Chief;
- Determining the eligibly of candidates, in accordance with these Election Rules, for the office of Grand Chief;
- Announcing the list of candidates to the public and media after the Close of Nominations. (May 27,2022)
- Compiling the Voters List; (immediately before the commencement of the voting process – June 24, 2022)
- Preparing the voting place;
- Preparing the necessary ballot forms;
Making all administrative arrangements in connection with the election;
Supervising the count of the ballots;
- Ruling on spoiled ballots and make determinations with respect to other matters related to the election process;
- Declaring the results of the vote;
- Destroying the ballots upon the direction of the General Assembly; and
- Generally, oversee and supervise the conduct of the election and take action to ensure that the election is fair and effective in a manner consistent with the Election Rules.
- Providing a final electoral report to the CYFN Executive Office
The following dates and deliverables must be adhered to in order to fulfill the duties of the Chief Returning Officer:
Before May 11, 2022:
- Develop candidacy form for distribution to all Yukon First Nations
- Develop an ad for inclusion in the local newspapers
- Develop a post for the CYFN Website that includes downloadable PDF versions of the Roles and Responsibilities of the Grand Chief, CYFN Grand Chief Election Rules, and the candidacy form
- Develop a post for the CYFN Facebook page that links to the CYFN Website post
By May 11, 2022:
- Post notices and call-out for nominations
- Distribute candidacy form to all Yukon First Nations
By May 27, 2022:
- Distribute a list of eligible candidates to all Yukon First Nations, the public and media, and post the list on the CYFN website and the CYFN Facebook page
By June 22, 2022:
- Template for an official voter list
- Form for official ballots
- Ballot box(es)
By June 27, 2022:
- Compile the official voter list by 6:00 p.m.
- Develop guidelines for the conduct of the All-Candidates Forum
And all other services incidental thereto.
April 27, 2022 – Chief Returning Officer must be appointed.
May 11, 2022 – Call for Nominations
May 27, 2022 – Nominations close at 4:00 pm PST (20 business days before first day of the CYFN GA)
- If more than one (1) nomination received – Election is called.
- If only one (1) nomination received – Acclamation declared.
June 28, 2022 – Election Day.